Stretching involves flexing your muscles and tendons to improve muscular elasticity and mobility. Stretching is a critical exercise for all-around fitness. It helps with flexibility, relieves muscle soreness and stress. Stretching can be done anywhere without bothering anyone. It doesn’t involve jumping and is, therefore, a quiet apartment-friendly exercise.
Benefits of stretching
- Reduces muscle soreness and increases range of motion.
- It helps to reduce the risk of injury
- Improves posture
- The routines can help to manage stress
- Improves performance
Must-try stretching exercises for beginners include:
1. Hamstring Stretch
- Stand with your own feet wide apart, and the knees slightly bent
- Slowly bend at the hips lowering the head toward the floor, and your upper body relaxed
- Enclose your arms around your legs back
- Hold the position for one minute or two
- Bend the knee and roll back up, repeat 3 to 4 times
This workout helps to improve mobility and flexibility on your hamstrings, back, neck, and calves.
2. Lunge With Spinal Twist
- Start with a standing posture and your feet closely together
- Take a forward step with the left foot to get into a staggered posture
- Slowly bend at the right knee to drop into the lunge while ensuring the right leg is straight at the back
- You should feel the thigh on your right side stretching
- Lower the hand on your right to the floor then rotate your body’s upper to the left while extending your hand on the left up the ceiling
- Hold for 1 to 2 minutes then repeat on the other position
This workout routine is ideal for those that sit for long hours. It helps to relieve lower back pain and can also increase mid-back mobility.