Apartment workout refers to fitness routines that you can do at home without disturbing your neighbors. It’s possible to do quiet exercises in your apartment and lucky for us, there’s a number of apartment-friendly workouts for the average city-dweller! No need to wake the baby downstairs or irritate your cranky neighbor, these routines are both silent and intense.
Table of Contents
6 Tips On How To Exercise In Your Apartment Without Disturbing Neighbors
Here are 6 different workout styles that is friendly workouts you can do when you live in an apartment:
- Stretching Exercises
- Low Impact Cardio
- Bodyweight workout
- Resistance band Training
Stretching involves flexing your muscles and tendons to improve muscular elasticity and mobility. Stretching is a critical exercise for all-round fitness. It helps with flexibility, relieves muscle soreness and stress. Stretching can be done anywhere without bothering anyone. It doesn’t involve jumping and is, therefore, a quiet apartment-friendly exercise.
Benefits of stretching
- Reduces muscle soreness and increases range of motion.
- Helps to reduce the risk of injury
- Improves posture
- The routines can help to manage stress
- Improves performance
Must-try stretching exercises for beginners include:
1. Hamstring Stretch
- Stand with your own feet wide apart, and the knees slightly bent
- Slowly bend at the hips lowering the head toward the floor, and your upper body relaxed
- Enclose your arms around your legs back
- Hold the position for one minute or two
- Bend the knee and roll back up, repeat 3 to 4 times
This workout helps to improve mobility and flexibility on your hamstrings, back, neck, and calves.
2. Lunge With Spinal Twist
- Start with a standing posture and your feet closely together
- Take a forward step with the left foot to get into a staggered posture
- Slowly bend at the right knee to drop into the lunge while ensuring the right leg straight at the back
- You should feel the thigh on your right side stretching
- Lower the hand on your right to the floor then rotate your body’s upper to the left while extending your hand on the left up the ceiling
- Hold for 1 to 2 minutes then repeat on the other position
This workout routine is ideal for those that sit for long hours. It helps to relieve lower back pain and can also increase mid-back mobility.
Yoga as a workout routine concentrates on postures and balance that lead to muscular flexibility, joint strength, and mental calm. A regular yoga routine can transform your physical body and mind by unimaginable levels. Yoga practice, just like stretching, has immense health benefits. It not only builds strength and harmony in the mind and body but can also improve mobility and relieve muscular tension.
Why yoga is apartment-friendly
You don’t need to do yoga routines at the gym. It doesn’t require any equipment except a mat. It doesn’t involve jumping or smack talk either.
- It is a noiseless routine
- It increases muscle strength
- Leads to improved athletic performance at home
- Can help you maintain an optimal metabolism
Must try yoga routines at home include:
1. Pelvic Tilt
- Lie faceup on the floor and bend the knees
- Maintain your feet flat on the floor
- Inhale slowly and as you exhale press your belly button inwards and push your pelvis upwards
- Tighten your hip muscle and hold the position for 5 seconds
- Complete 20 repetitions
This routine straightens posture and relieves lower back and hip and knee pain.
- Lie faceup on the mat and bend your knees with feet flat on the floor
- Tighten your abs and gluteus muscles
- Raise your hips from the ground to create a parallel form from knees to shoulders
- Squeeze your core and hold for 30 seconds then return to start position
- Finish ten repetitions
The bridge yoga routine strengthens your core and butt muscles.
3. Seated Spinal Rotation
- You will need an exercise ball for this yoga routine
- Sit on the ball and find a stable balance
- Stretch your legs out in front such that they are more than shoulder-width apart
- Extend your arms out at shoulder level on each side
- Maintaining a straight back, rotate your torso to the right and pass your left arm to touch the right foot
- Rotate back up and reach out with the right hand to the left foot
- Complete 12 repetitions on each side
This routine enhances your thoracic spine mobility and strengthens the abs, the back, and the hamstrings.
Yoga exercises, as seen, are apartment-friendly, physically engaging, and incredibly relaxing. To get the postures and stretches right, you need a good mat. The best fitness mat is non-slippery and wicks away moisture.
Why you need a yoga mat for your stretching routines
- They prevent the risk of slipping
- They allow you to work out on any floor surface
- They can help improve balance and posture
- Their added cushioning helps to protect the joints
I recommend HemingWeigh Extra Thick Foam Exercise Mat (Amazon)
Low Impact Cardio Workout (No Jumping)
Low impact cardio workouts refer to routines that involve lifting at least one foot off the ground but with lessened impact (no jumping). Low impact cardio is gentle in the muscles and joints. It doesn’t involve running, either, and the impact on the floor is soft.
For your apartment workout, the routines only have to be silent, so the angry neighbors don’t come knocking. Unlike high impact cardio such as jumping and running, lower-impact cardio will burn calories without the risk of injuries. Some of these routines include high-intensity interval training (HIIT) workouts that are apartment friendly.
Health benefits of low impact cardio
- It builds strength and endurance
- It’s effective for fat loss
- Safe for people with arthritis and injuries
- Improves heart health
Examples of apartment-friendly low impact cardio
- Start from a curtsy position with the legs slightly bent
- Your left leg should be behind and across your body
- Position the left arm straight down with the right arm bent at your side
- Bring your right leg forward and swing your right leg backward and across, switch arms in the process
- Avoid jumping to keep this a low impact HIIT routine
- The skaters cardio routine improves knee strength and tones the quads and glutes
2. Standing oblique crunch
- Stand shoulder-width apart with your arms bent
- Position your hands at the back of your head with the elbows slightly flared out
- Bend to your right while lowering your elbow and bring up the right knee to touch
- Rise back to the starting posture and repeat with the left side
- Complete ten reps for each side
- Oblique crunches can help to carve out your core muscles and build strength.
3. Windmill lunge
- Stand with your feet wider than your shoulders and your arms stretched out straight
- Slowly bend at the waist and pass the left hand to touch the right foot
- Repeat on the other side increasing tempo in the process
- Complete ten reps on each side
The windmills cardio blast builds core strength and increases the range of motion in your hamstrings.
4. Bear Crawls
- From a standing position, squat to the floor and
- Walk with your hands until you are in a plank position
- Keeping your feet in the same spot do a single push up then walk with your hands back to the squat position and up
- Repeat for 2 minutes
Bear crawls increase strength and endurance in your arms and shoulders and can help to stabilize the core as well.
Bodyweight workouts refer to exercise routines that use your body weight. It’s the most natural and oldest form of fitness routine known to humankind. You can blaze up those muscles in your room without your neighbors knowing about it. You don’t need expensive gear for bodyweight workout routines.
Bodyweight workout = strength training = crazy muscle building. The routines can burn extra more calories and sculpt your body into killer shape.
The benefits of bodyweight workout include:
- No jumping or running involved and is hence apartment-friendly
- No expensive equipment needed
- It’s good for beginners
- Has fewer chances of injury
- Builds strength, balance, and flexibility
Examples of bodyweight workout routines include:
1. Triceps dip
- Sit at the edge of your couch, bed or a sturdy table
- Your hands should be just slightly outside your hips
- Raise your body off the bed/couch such that your knees are above the heels
- Bend your elbows at a 90-degree angle and lower your hips towards the floor
- Press your body back up by extending your elbows
This routine strengthens your upper body and can reward you with bulged triceps without weight lifting. No equipment noise to annoy the neighbors either.
- In a plank position, ensure that your feet are shoulder-width apart and your hands are flat on the floor
- Maintain your body in one straight line
- Bend your arms to lower your body close to the ground without touching it
- Your elbows need to be at a 45-degree angle with your core
- Push back up and repeat to the point of fatigue
Pushups should be your friend if you desire a sturdy and well-built upper body. The routines can work wonders for your shoulders, triceps, and pectoral muscles.
3. Air Squat
- Stand with your feet wider than the hips and your toes pointed out
- Clasp hands at the back of your head
- Push the hips back then bend at the knees to lower your torso as far as possible
- Keep your chest lifted during the movement
- Push through the heels and get back up to the start position
- Complete 15 repetitions
Squats don’t disappoint when it comes to muscle building. The effect is body-wide, from the core to the butt and legs, and your neighbors won’t hear any clanks or thuds.
Resistance Band Training
Resistance bands are easily the best invention for at-home fitness enthusiasts. This exercise tool is versatile, convenient, and easy to store. It is inexpensive, and it’s a quite workout tool too. A resistance band tunes up the intensity of your strength training and can also help to prevent injuries in the process. The added resistance can lead to faster weight loss and muscle building results.
Health benefits of resistance training
- It increases muscle strength
- It is exciting and varied; it can help you overcome a plateau
- Improves mobility and balance
- Is useful for weight management
- It can help to reduce cognitive decline in aging people
Resistance band training routines to try at home:
1. Resistance Band Bicep Curl
- Start by standing straight on a resistance band with both feet
- Hold the band in each hand
- and with arms stretched, curl your hands slowly towards the shoulders
- Maintain your elbows tight of your body during the movement
- Gradually lower your hands to the start position
- Finish ten repetitions
The biceps curl routine strengthens the biceps without zero weight lifting.
2. Resistance Band Chest Press
- Step on the resistance band at the back with your right foot
- With the left foot slightly in front, raise the resistance band at the handles to your shoulders
- Tuck in your abs and push the arms out in front of your chest then slowly press the elbows back
- Repeat till you fatigue out
The chest press routine strengthens the chest, triceps, biceps, and shoulder muscles.
3. Resistance Band lat pull down
- In a standing position, grab the resistance band with palms facing downwards
- Bend down on one knee while keeping your hands above your head and the resistance band tight
- Lower your hands to shoulder height and raise them back again
- Complete 12 such repetitions
- This strength training workout strengthens the shoulder muscles.
Resistance bands are good for taking your workouts on the go, whether at home or in a hotel room. Resistance bands stabilize your muscles and add variety to your strength training. They are also affordable and take up less space. It’s advisable to get three different bands of light, medium, and heavy resistance to engage all your muscle groups effectively.
Health benefits of training with resistance bands
- They reduce the risk of injury
- They lead to extensive muscle stimulus
- They improve strength and lead to robust core stabilization
- They improve flexibility and mobility
I recommend Bodylastics Patented Anti-SNAP (Amazon)
Pilates refers to varied exercise routines that comprise of endurance and muscular strength movements with low impact flexibility. The routines are named after their inventor Joseph Pilates. You can do Pilates anywhere, including in a small apartment space.
Pilates routines are ideal for building core strength. This workout is a little similar to yoga, given that it focuses on flexibility, balance, and posture. Pilates has a lower chance of injury than other strength training exercises. Pilates routines are also apartment-friendly, given that they need no equipment, and there is no jumping involved.
Health benefits of Pilates
- They boost flexibility
- They lead to improved muscular control
- They enhance muscle strength
- Can help to rehabilitate joint and spinal injuries
- They improve physical coordination
Pilate routines to try in your apartment:
- Lie faceup and stretch your arms towards the ceiling
- Breathe in deeply
- Exhale and curl your chin towards the chest and roll to a sitting posture with arms reaching towards the feet
- Breath in
- Exhale then roll back down slowly without jerking
This routine strengthens the spine and abdominal muscles
2. Single-leg stretch
- Lie faceup with your knees bent
- Exhale then lift head and shoulders off the mat
- In the process, extend your left leg straight and draw the right knee toward your chest
- Switch legs and complete ten such full repetitions
The single-leg stretch exercise strengthens the abdominal muscles
- Lie on your back with elbows wide and hands clasped behind the neck
- Raise your shoulders off the mat and bring in the right knee to meet with the left arm
- Repeat the twisting motion with the left knee and right arm
This routine targets your obliques and abs. It is ideal for blasting lower belly fat. Working out is a must for health and beauty. When you can’t hit the gym for one reason or another, you can still crank your muscles with the above routines. The videos and apps can help you get it right without bothering your neighbors.
- Quiet Cardio Workout: 7 Silent Exercises for Fat Loss
- 10 Quiet Apartment Exercises For Small Space Workouts
- 7 Helpful Tips to Reduce Noise While Exercising In An Apartment
- Stairs Workout: 8 Simple Stair Exercises for Beginners
- Jump Rope Indoors FAQ: Home Workout Tips For Small Spaces
Apartment Workout Equipment
Days when you don’t want to hit the gym for the above or other reasons, you would be glad to have around a few workout gears to get your apartment workout going. You can invest in any workout equipment, depending on the scale of your budget and the sound muffling abilities of your floors and walls.
There is no excuse for falling behind your weight loss and fitness goals. You can turn your home into a fitness center with simple gear. For your small studio apartment, where you are aiming for zero noise, the best home workout equipment requires no wall or floor installations. They are quite and fall within budget.
Here are some of the essentials:
Best Workout Videos for Apartments
Gyms have gym instructors, and the high-end ones have fitness coaches. When you opt for an apartment workout, you choose a solo path to fitness. Luckily there is the internet with thousands of workout videos designed to help you push your limits. Some of these videos are created by expert fitness professionals so that you don’t miss anything when you cancel your gym membership.
Why you should use home workout videos:
- Professional workout guidance with no gym fees
- Accessible any time
- You can pause and resume later
- Easy to follow and rewind if necessary
Youtube Home Workout Videos:
1. Sculpted Thighs and Abs | Apartment Friendly Routines
YouTube fitness coach Cassey Ho (Blogilates) holds workout classes meant for apartment fitness audiences. As per the videos, all you need to attain a perfect physique are your body and a fitness mat. In this specific video, the trainer shows you how to blast fat and sculpt your abs and legs with Pilates and stretches.
2. Low Impact Cardio | The Body Coach
This fitness video reveals to you the secrets of doing HIIT quietly in your apartment. The trainer takes you through each of the low impact HIIT routines step by step. The 15-minute video is a perfect guide for getting squats and burpees right.
3. 10,000 Ab and Squats Challenge in 30 Days
Joanna Soh is a regular fitness YouTuber, and her routines are mostly apartment-friendly except for the jumping parts. In this video, she demonstrates how it is possible to do 10,000 Pilates, planks, and squats every month by accomplishing around 300 every day. Her circuit routines are fast-paced.
There is no rest till the finish.
4. V-Cut Abs Routines for Ripped Obliques
The V Cut Abs video is ideal for men that desire a tapered and ripped V-shape torso. The full-body strength training video includes drop-sets, meaning that you do 20 reps FOR the first set, 15 for the second set, and 5 for the last one. The routines covered include Spider-Man pushups to side plank, side plank dips, side jackknife, floor wipers, and rotating mountain climbers. All of them are no equipment routines.
5. Apartment-Friendly workout Blogilates
This apartment workout video is about quiet cardio exercises that won’t turn you into an enemy of the people in your apartment building. The trainer shows you how you can maintain a steady heart rate without jumping or using gym equipment. Dubbed ‘silent and deadly,’ the low impact routines explored in it can help you push past your limits for jaw-dropping looks.
Apartment friendly workout app
Workout videos are helpful, but if you are looking for an interactive apartment training experience, you will need to try workout apps. These apps will keep track of your goals, send you reminders and notifications, and introduce you to new workout ideas that require no equipment.
Why you should try workout apps
- You can track your fitness/ weight loss progress
- You can set goals
- You can monitor your nutrition
- You can get reminders of when and what exercises to do
- You can use them on your fitness watches or smartphones
- Most of the apps are free
Best Workout App For An Apartment
Aaptiv is a leading provider of premium digital health and wellness content and is the #1 audio fitness app. Aaptiv provides trainer-led, music-driven workouts in 22 fitness categories including running, strength, cycling, HIIT training, boxing, yoga, meditation, and more.
To learn more about Aaptiv click here